Monday, November 29, 2010

Weeknote #28 (w/e 28/11/10)

We had a meeting of the Faculty Science Communication and Engagement Group last Monday, which was a good chance to take stock after a highly-successful Manchester Science Festival. I was particularly proud of my Group, as they threw themselves whole-heartedly into various activities, which are summarised here. Naomi and Zarka were invaluable event organizers, Pete and Matthew were honorary Girl Geeks during the robot building sessions, and then Pete stepped in at the last minute to give a Teawitter talk on evacuation. We all enjoyed our involvement in this year's Festival, and are already looking forward to National Science and Engineering Week next year.

Fake Biologist Alert!: I was featured in the Autumn edition of the MMU Success magazine, talking about BACTOCOM. If you want to see the full story, including me in an unnecessary labcoat, it's here.

Finally, this week was not a good week in which to be an Ipswich Town supporter. I was all for giving Roy Keane the benefit of the doubt at first, but yesterday's clueless capitulation at the hands of our fiercest rivals is giving me pause for thought.

No comments: